Friday, September 2, 2011

How not to be nervous ...

Wednesday I was on my way to yoga at The Special Yoga Centre. It is good to have some yoga with others when you are not the teacher. I was going to be a few minutes and so I sent my teacher Leah,

It takes about one and half hours to get there, an hour class, and the same journey home. Perfectly OK with me, I can just sit, read the free papers and do the Suduko, read a book and have some quality me time. of course, it does not always go to plan.

Leah rang me as I was on the last part of my journey, almost at the centre and explained she was going to be later. Could I start the class, naturally I said Yes of course. Naturally I though O M G.....

I did not have enough time to suffer with my usual nerves. I arrived, took a deep breathe. Apologised   Leah's behalf and confidently advised Leah would be joining us shortly and I am only preparing us for the practice. They had no idea how much I hoped my statement was sincerely accurate.

I then asked the standard is anybody new yoga or does anyone have any conditions or pains I should no about. So naturally, on my day when I was busy bluffing confidence there was a newbie who had scoliosis and was a teenage with all the associate teen problems.  Ok I told a deep breathe and silently to myself thanks the universe for it's kind gift.

I got the class in Savasana with hand on their tummy and to observe their natural breathe for a few moments. I went to my student and told her that all she has to do is breath and she is practising yoga, if during the practice and she suffers pain or too much discomfort she should STOP and return to this relaxation pose.

I then continue with some joint loosening, breathe work, simple stretches and Leah arrived. She offered to take over immediately. No... let me finish my sequence and it will give you a chance to settle into class. After the bridge i returned the class to Savasana and there were a few giggles when I stated that magically their teacher was about to change. I told Leah about our teen yogi with specifics.

It helped my confidence tremendously as I listened to Leah giving instructions and advice that mirrored exactly my instruction... Thank goodness!  It has been the best solution for our new student because we both gave the same advice, reinforcing the teaching we gave.

To help my confidence and also to mentor my skills, Leah suggested we could do this more often. I naturally verbally agreed, even if mind was screaming..... No I am scared!

The universe had obviously decided my time was  NOW and knows the less time I have to prepare and plan, the less nervous I am. Even though I have not consciously prepared for the class my instinctive knowledge for was perfect for the moment.

There is lot in my life at the moment but this class was a valuable lesson.

With my very best intentions I wish you many smiles with much laughter.
Karen :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment