Friday, September 17, 2010

Yoga Teacher training workshop, how to help people living with a diagnosis of Multiple Sclerosis

Yoga as Transformation

Karen Mascoll's daily yoga practice helps her overcome many symptoms of the Multiple Sclerosis she was diagnosed with eleven years ago. Here, she tells her story.

How did you discover yoga?karen mascoll multiple sclerosis yoga
I found yoga five years ago; classes were free as part of membership when my husband and I joined our local gym. I tried a range of classes.

Anita Anand, my first yoga instructor and now good friend, lead the hatha class, and was an excellent, inspiring teacher as I struggled through and improved gradually.

Now my tree does not fall, it just wobbles a little! Since  then I have met and connected with several yoga teachers, including Thendara Kida.

I am now poised to take a training course to become a yoga teacher and will be
eternally grateful to Clive Mayhew, the founder http://yogaaid.co.uk/, who instigated and helped me to achieve this dream.


When were you diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis?
I was diagnosed with Multiple sclerosis in Feb 1998 - the next year, I launched my efforts to improve my health and to manage my symptoms of my MS.

I changed to a vegetarian diet, researched allergies and food intolerances, reduced my stressors, had counselling, and fought to get the drugs that were available but initially not given due to the then NICE guidelines.

I have always followed an exercise-rich lifestyle but have poor balance, perhaps I had always felt a little discouraged from paying out for an exercise routine I knew was difficult, before any diagnosis.


What style of yoga do you practice now? karen mascoll multiple sclerosis yoga
I enjoy hatha but I have tasted other styles; I attended a yoga weekend retreat and have tried kundalini. I am open to all types of yoga but I love the challenge hatha gives me.


How has MS affected your mobility and physical abilities?
In February 1998 I was diagnosed with 'relapsing remitting Multiple Sclerosis 'and so began the worst year of my life when I felt my future of possibilities had been stolen from me.

My symptoms include poor balance; lack of energy; forgetfulness; exhaustion; bladder and bowel problems; poor concentration. I also have muscle spasms, difficulty swallowing, and stiffness and weakness in my muscles, and visual problems.


In what way has yoga helped your physical condition? 
Yoga prepares me to enjoy my day. I begin each day with some sun salutations while listening to breakfast TV as I ease myself into the day.

Sometimes I perform some double leg lifts to strengthen my tummy muscle, and incorporate some splits at the top of the lift to add to the flexibility to my hips.

Yoga has also helped with bowl problems and made symptoms more manageable.
I have also found my breathing skills are a key tool to manage my pain.


In what way has yoga helped you live with MS, psychologically?
In addition to the above direct physical benefits I feel my yoga practice helps me to maintain my optimistic persona. As well as my daily practice, I attend a two or three classes a week that involves a greater diversity of poses.

Also I have found a greater sense of community in these classes than, say, aerobics classes. Yoga seems to me to be more spiritual and brings me peace.



For more information about MS and its symptoms, see 

No comments:

Post a Comment